Ever wonder who is after your information and why?
The great experiment of the internet and connected devices really began in the 1970’s with two super large computers talking to one another sending the first message. Since that time, the world has expanded to what is now being called the Internet of Things (IoT). This basically means EVERYTHING is connected. Your thermostat, lights, refrigerator, security cameras, etc. are all connected and can be potentially managed with your smart phone.
The days of George Jetsons are here now! If you don’t know who George Jetsonis….the link is attached!
With all this technology, there are many people who are looking to make money online both honestly and dishonestly. Both endeavors take time and energy to be successful, but unfortunately the deceitful side of the house takes less effort and the potential payouts are staggering. It has been recently reported that these cyber criminals are making over 1 Billion dollars every year from their fraudulent activities. So where is this money coming from to pay these people from their wayward activities….YOU! You are paying higher interest rates, more fees, etc. and these all add to cover the banks losses from these criminals’ activities.
As we work to protect ourselves online it is extremely important to understand the “Dark Side” (Enemy) and who these people are and what motivates them.
- Young Hacker Wannabees – Young people who find a thrill and excitement by using technology to make a name for themselves. They are typically are motivated through a partaking in a unique social community along with a sense of control, power, and narcissistic tendencies
- Cyberbullying – Occurs through the use of electronic technology, such as cell phones, computers, and tablets as well as communication tools including social media sites, text messages, chat, and websites. These individuals (Young and Old) use all the technology at their disposal to demean or tear down, intimidate, coerce, or blackmail other individuals
- Cyber Criminals – This is becoming a very lucrative business for individuals and organized crime. It has become almost a half of a Trillion dollar industry that affects everyone. Individuals who work in this world transition through other profiles on this list and are basically cyber guns for hire or mercenaries operating all around the globe in every country.
- Sexual Predators – These are lowest of society and these deviants / miscreants target people (all ages) as objects for personal satisfaction. They attempt to hid their activities from law enforcement and no age, gender, or race is immune from their attacks. These sick people prey on individuals who are young, inexperienced, or in need of the basics of life: Food, clothing, shelter. No one is safe…WATCH YOUR KIDS!
- Predatory Marketers – Individuals who offer up products that may meet part of your needs but at a cost. Much of what they provide is loaded with malicious or bad software that allows attacker access to your computer systems.
- Hactivists – These are hackers with a “conscience” who target individuals, organization, or businesses based on their ideological stance. These people are all over the board and will pick up the “banner” for justice and it really depends if you tick them off or not. Here are two examples: #OPISIS and Philadelphia Police Force
- Government (State) Sponsored – State Sponsored Hackers – Depending upon your government affiliation, these individuals are a threat or a national asset. They take the resources of a large government organization and target other countries or companies for exploitation.
As you can see there are various threats that you can encounter while surfing the web on a daily basis. However, understanding who these people are and the risks they pose are crucial in protecting you and your family while online.
Have a blessed day!